{Homemade} Kahlua

{Homemade} Kahlua - {i love} my disorganized life #kahlua

Have you ever had a recipe or an idea for a project that you’ve been meaning to make but never get around to it? That’s what this Kahlua is for me. I am ashamed to say that I have had this recipe for over 20 years, and am just now getting to it.

I know what you’re thinking, because I’ve been thinking the same thing, why did I wait so long? Truth? I may have sort of forgotten I had it. Yes, it’s sad, isn’t it?

Here’s what I suggest, DON”T WAIT. MAKE IT NOW. This recipe takes a min of 30 days to age before it’s ready to drink.

Reasons to make your own Kahlua:

• it’s a perfect gift
  • it tastes fabulous
  • it makes delicious recipes taste even better
  • it’s easy to make {and I’m all about easy}
  • your friends & family will think you’re a genius &
  • they’ll want to come to your house more often {this could actually be a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it}

OK, enough chitchat, let’s get to it!

{Homemade} Kahlua

Author:
Recipe type: Cocktails
Ingredients
  • 4 C water
  • 6 C white sugar
  • 1⅓ C instant coffee granules
  • 1.75 Liters of vodka
  • ¼ C pure vanilla {NOT imitation!}
Instructions
  1. Boil water
  2. When at a rolling boil, remove from heat and add instant coffee & sugar; stir until dissolved
  3. While stirring, add vodka in a slow, steady stream
  4. Stir in vanilla
  5. Let stand one hour before putting into bottles
  6. Allow to age 30-45 days before drinking
Notes
This recipe makes enough to fill 6- 18 oz bottles with 10 oz left over

{this recipe made enough for me to fill 5- 18 oz bottles for gifts and 1 28 oz mason jar for myself – hey, you didn’t think I was going to give it all away, did you?}

*The average price per bottle {6 bottles + 6 oz left over} is about $3. This is based on a 1.75 Ltr bottle of vodka at Costco for $15. The price of your vodka will affect the cost per bottle

I’d love to know if you made it and what you thought of it, so be sure to come back and leave me a comment!

The following two tabs change content below.

Rachel

I’m a no-pattern-sewing, eye-ball-it-crafting, shortcut-recipe-making kind of girl. Rather than spending a ton of time on complicated recipes & patterns, I prefer to whip things up in a jiffy for instant gratification. I live in Southern AZ with my husband of 22+ years and three of our five children. I’m a sucker for old missions, Snickers candy bars, babies, cocktails and puppies {not necessarily in that order}. I love to travel and one day hope to see other countries like Italy, Austria, and France, just to name a few.

Comments

• mydisorganizedlife@gmail.com says

You’re so very welcome Tammy!

1. Ronda RS says

Awesome! I will definitely be making this for my Mom and Sister for Christmas this year. Where did you get those pretty bottles?

• mydisorganizedlife@gmail.com says

Glad you like it Ronda! I picked them up at Hobby Lobby. No luck with JoAnn’s or Michael’s. You could also use Grolsch beer bottles.

• Ronda says

Thanks! I go to hobby lobby often!

• mydisorganizedlife@gmail.com says

You’re very welcome Ronda!

2. says

Girl, what other 20 year old recipes are you sitting on??!! If they’re anything like this then you better get to making them!! This is awesome and I’m totally gonna try it. But I wont give it as a gift… it’s all for me! :)

• mydisorganizedlife@gmail.com says

Haha, I’m keeping a large bottle for myself as well LOL Mine is just about ready to drink, I’m so excited! And I’ll be sure and get on looking for those old recipes ASAP!

3. Ann says

Love it since I love Kahlua……can you tell me if it is ok to use a cork top bottle or does it have to be the type you are showing in your beautiful photo? Thanks for this great receipe!

• mydisorganizedlife@gmail.com says

Ann, a cork top bottle should be just fine. I went a little fancier because I am giving these as lone Christmas gifts, but next year I will be using different ones, as these were a little pricey!

• mydisorganizedlife@gmail.com says

Thanks for the compliment on my new site, Raquel! I am so happy to finally be on WP! So sweet of you to share this recipe on your FB page, too! Have a great day!

4. says

By instant coffee, do you mean the kind you stir in and dissolves in hot water or the kind you make in a coffee maker? And by 1 1/3 C do you mean already made in water or the powdered stuff? Sorry if this is obvious, I just want to make sure!

• mydisorganizedlife@gmail.com says

Breenah, yes, by instant I mean the kind in a jar {like Taster’s Choice} that is in crystal-like form. You use 1 1/3 C of the crystals {right out of the jar} for this recipe. I hope that clears it up for you :)