Get togethers with family and friends are the best. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of times when our family would picnic with other families from our church. Picnics are where new friendships are made and old friendships are strengthened. The guys played softball or volleyball, the kids ran around, the ladies chatted, and there was food. Oh my, was there food! Some of the best food ever.
Like this 24-hour Layered Veggie Salad. Layers of fresh veggie goodness topped with a lemony dill dressing. It can be made a day ahead of time, so it’s ready to pack-and-go the morning of your picnic.
24-hour Layered Veggie Salad
Layers of fresh veggie goodness topped with a lemony dill dressing. It can be made a day ahead of time, so it's ready to pack-and-go the morning of your picnic or backyard BBQ
Recipe type: Side
- 4 Cups torn iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1 C frozen peas, thawed
- 1 C shredded carrots
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 6 strips crisp-cooked bacon, drained and crumbled
- ¾ C shredded Cheddar or Swiss cheese
- 2 thinly sliced green onions
- ¾ C mayo
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp fresh or ½ tsp dried dill
- In a 2 or 2½ quart bowl, layer lettuce, peas, carrots, sliced eggs, bacon, ½ C of the shredded cheese and ¾ of the green onions
- In a small bowl, combine mayo, lemon juice and dill. Spread over top of salad, sprinkle with remaining cheese and green onion.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for minimum of 2 hours or up to 24 hours
- Toss to coat veggies just before serving
Celebrate Sweet Vidalia Flavors of Summer with the great tastes of fresh Vidalia Onions, Avocados from Mexico, Gourmet Garden Herbs, Johnsonville Italian Sausage, mangos, watermelon and Stemilt Cherries. Great food and good friends make everyday a party to remember so start entertaining and visit www.flavors-of-summer.com for recipes, coupons and entertaining tips.