This Old Fashioned Butter Cake Recipe is moist and delicious, the epitome of buttery goodness!
I haven’t been baking much lately, but since the kids are back in school, I figured they needed a little sweetness in their lives to balance out all that homework.
This cake is one word. Amazing. One taste of the batter and I knew it was going to be sinfully delicious. You know those recipes, you take one bite and you can’t stop saying “Ooh”, “Ahh” and “Oh.My.God.”? Ya, this is one of those recipes.
OK, I know it doesn’t look like much at first glance, but one taste and this old fashioned butter cake recipe will bring you to your knees. It really is that good. I honestly don’t say that about many recipes, so you know it’s got to be incredible.
Serve this on a lazy Sunday with a cup of your favorite coffee or tea, and you’ve got the perfect afternoon.
You may also like:
- 3 Cups all purpose flour
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 Cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1 Cup butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- ¾ Cup sugar
- ⅓ Cup butter
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Grease and flour a Bundt pan
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
- Blend at low speed until moist
- Blend at medium speed for 3 minutes
- Pour into prepared pan
- Bake 60-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean
- In a small sauce pan, combine sugar, butter, and water: heat until butter is melted
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla
- With cake still in the pan, poke deep holes on surface of cake with fork, using a 1-inch spacing
- Carefully pour ¾ Cup butter sauce onto hot cake, making sure sauce goes into all the holes
- Let cool for 5 minutes; turn cake over onto a serving plate and brush top of cake with remaining butter sauce