Blueberry muffins are the perfect addition to any breakfast or brunch. Made from scratch, you’ll love the sweet flavor of fresh blueberries.
This post contains affiliate links, which help compensate me to continue bringing you great recipes, projects, and tips at no extra cost to you.
Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits, especially when they’re in baked goods, like these blueberry muffins.
You may recall my love of the blue fruit just the other day when I shared these blueberry lemon sweet rolls.
It’s easy to see why I love them so much. Not only do blueberries taste good, they boost brain health, alleviate inflammation and support digestion.
Blueberries are super versatile, too. Not only are they perfect in baked goods, they make a great summer treat as well, like these strawberry-blueberry pops.
My mouth is already watering.
Do you know what else I love? Easy recipes that taste good. These blueberry muffins have a slightly sweet batter that perfectly enhances the sweetness of the berries.
The trick, however, is not to mix the batter too much, as this will cause the muffins to be tough and have tunnels. No Bueno.
Tips for Making Blueberry Muffins
- Don’t skip sifting the dry ingredients. otherwise, you’ll end up with heavy or dense muffins
- Stirring your batter until just combined will prevent your muffins from being tough
- Fold, don’t stir, your blueberries into your batter. Stirring will break them up and can cause over stirring (see tip #2)
- Filling muffin cups more than 2/3 full can cause them to overflow, making a mess of your oven
- Topping your muffins with sparkling sugar will make them look like they came straight from the bakery
I’m not going to lie, I love baked goods and pastries, but, I’m also trying super hard to lead a low-carb lifestyle.
Does that sound crazy to you? I mean, how can I justify sharing delicious carb-filled recipes when I myself am trying desperately to stay away from them?
The answer is simple. My brain won’t allow me to believe it’s possible to live completely carb-free.
At least once a month, I need those carb-filled pastries and baked goods. I also need pizza, chips & salsa, and a really good margarita.
Not all at once, mind you. However, I will admit there are days I wish I could have all of that at one sitting, just saying.
My point is, while I know what is best for me, I also know that I need balance. So, for me, that means having a delicious blueberry muffin once in a while.
I truly hope you enjoy these as much as I did. And, no, I didn’t eat them all in one sitting, although I really wanted to.
Baking Tools for Blueberry Muffins
Here are a few of my baking must-haves
Serves 1 muffin
Blueberry muffins are the perfect addition to any breakfast or brunch. Made from scratch, you'll love the sweet flavor of fresh blueberries.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 Cups flour
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 Cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 Cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1/1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Cup fresh blueberries
- Sparkling sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Put cupcake liners in a 12-cup muffin tin; set aside
- Rinse blueberries and pat dry; set aside
- Sift dry ingredients in a large bowl
- In a small bowl, combine lightly beaten egg, oil, milk, and vanilla
- Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until combined and batter is still rough looking
- Using a spatula, gently fold in blueberries
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter
- Top each muffin with 1/2 Tablespoon sparkling sugar
- Bake at 400º for 20-25 minutes or until tops are slightly browned
Over stirring will cause muffins to be tough