Making a joy tote bag couldn’t be easier using your Cricut machine. I can hardly wait to use mine for Christmas shopping!
Did you know that Christmas is my absolute favorite time of year? The carols, decorations, cookies and peppermint hot cocoa are just a few of the best things about it.
I also love shopping for Christmas presents, and to tell the truth, I could go overboard if my husband and finances would allow it!
Of course, I can’t leave out Jesus, Santa and Hallmark movies! I mean, does it really get better than this?
This post contains affiliate links, which help compensate me to continue bringing you great recipes, projects, and tips at no extra cost to you.
Before we get started, there are some things you’re going to need.
Making Your Joy Tote Bag
Joy Tote Supplies:
- Cricut cutting machine
- Cricut Standard Access (for free images)
- Iron on vinyl in red, Kelly green and black
- Weeding tools
- Canvas tote bag
- Cricut EasyPress or iron
Joy Tote Vinyl Instructions:
- First, make sure you iron out all the wrinkles from your tote bag
- Next, access my tote project in Cricut design space
- If you like the current size of the project (10×4.824), simply click on the green Make It button. If you want to adjust the size, click the white Customize button.
- Once you are ready to cut the vinyl for your joy tote, make sure to set each mat to Mirror.
- Next, select your type of material. In this case, you will choose iron on.
- If using a Cricut Explore Air 2, be sure to select iron-on using the dial on your machine
- Continue to follow the prompts on your Cricut machine to cut the vinyl for your joy tote.
- Once you have cut all of your vinyl pieces, carefully weed them using your weeding tool
- You are now ready to iron the vinyl design to your tote bag
Joy Tote Iron-On Instructions Using EasyPress/EasyPress Mat:
- Set the EasyPress temperature at 340ºF (170ºC) and the time at 30 seconds
- Preheat material for 5 seconds
- Center the letters on your joy tote
- Apply heat + gentle pressure for 30 seconds
- Flip material and press for 15 seconds.
- Let cool 1-2 minutes and carefully peel off the protective lining
- Repeat these steps with the green wreath and then the red bow
Joy Tote Iron-On Instructions Using Iron:
- Use the Cotton/Linen setting (generally the highest temperature setting). Make sure the steam setting is OFF for steam irons
- Preheat the area of the material in which you will be applying your cut image for 10-15 seconds
- Place the weeded image, liner side up, onto the preheated material.
- Apply medium pressure with the iron for 25-30 seconds
- Flip the material over and apply medium pressure with the iron to the back of the material for an additional 25-30 seconds
- Let cool 1-2 minutes. Remove the protective lining
You now have a beautiful and festive joy tote bag!